More & More Residents Reporting Strange Wildlife Behavior In Richmond And Charlottesville, VA
Each year, local public health agencies in the Richmond and Charlottesville Virginia areas receive more and more calls about unusual wild animal behavior.
Some of the calls have been about “strange” behavior in raccoons and foxes. Callers report raccoons and foxes out during the day, looking confused, staggering, having seizures, or just sitting or lying down. In some cases, a person can get very close to the animal and it never moves.
Raccoons are usually night creatures. However, experts say that raccoons are getting used to residential developments.
Seeing raccoons during the day in Richmond and Charlottesville VA has become more common in recent years. These raccoons may not be diseased, but are getting used to being around people.
There are two diseases that could cause strange behaviors in these animals — canine distemper and rabies. Laboratory testing of the animal is the only way to determine if it is diseased or not.
Employees of Virginia Professional Wildlife Removal Services, LLC—a wildlife animal pest removal company servicing both Charlottesville and Richmond, say it is important to stay away from wild animals as well as domesticated pets. They offers the following tips:
What should you do to keep your pets healthy?
• Vaccinate your pets for both distemper and rabies and keep the vaccinations up-to-date
• Keep them away from all wildlife such as raccoons, skunks or foxes
• If your pet is ill or you have questions, contact your veterinarian
• Keep your pets away from other ill pets/animals
• Discuss your pet’s health and vaccinations with your veterinarian
• Know your area and keep a lookout for sick or injured wildlife in Richmond and Charlottesville
• Do not feed the wildlife, keep trash cans covered
What should you do if you see a sick raccoon or other wildlife in Richmond or Charlottesville?
• Stay away from the animal
• Do not approach or attempt to pick it up
• Alert your family, friends, neighbors to the be on the lookout and avoid the animal
• You may notify animal control or the health department, but the animal will not be picked up and tested unless there is a human exposure
Contact Virginia Professional Wildlife Removal Services at (434) 270-0488 or toll-free at (888) 893-1975 for all of your animal wildlife pest removal needs in Richmond and Charlottesville, VA.